Friday, June 24, 2011

Partying On the Roof With The Haitians!

The Chinese Farah Fawcett
And what a first hectic month it has been! Last night marked the anniversary of the first day in which I started working with Dr. Judy this summer. Whoa. Time flies. And, incidentally, yesterday was one of the most memorable days I have spent as Dr. Judy's intern. During the day, I churned out various blogs for Penguin's Idiot's Guide Blog and also brainstormed with Dr. J about an idea I have that I am about to pitch to The Huffington Post. After several cups of Dr. Judy's secret homemade coffee (well, it's not so secret anymore, since I loved it so much and had to suck the ingredients out of her-whoops), Dr. J and the other interns and I decided we needed a night out. As it so happened, Dr. Judy had just received an email inviting her to a fundraising event entitled 'Africa Unite For Haiti', which was located on a rooftop penthouse on the Upper East Side.  
Working hard, but playing harder-Only Dr. J
       We only decided that we were going to attend the event a few minutes before it started so Dr. J and the gang got into serious intern mode. Dr. Judy chirped "We all need something to wear!" which was marginally true, since, as we four interns happen to be very hard working women's college grads and students, were clad in semi-work clothes and were deftly rubbing the sleep from our eyes, since we had been typing rampantly for the past five hours, we were in desperate need of wardrobe re-vamping.
     Dr. J then chose a different outfit for everyone from her person wardrobe. Mao (seen above) is looking ultra-rad in sunflower pants and a thin, sheath-like blouse. She borrowed my red lipstick to add a finishing touch to her retro seventies look. Rawr!

Then, Dr. Judy re-created Lebo, since she was initially wearing a casual t-shirt and jeans. Dr. J took a turquoise blouse and shawl and did her magic. Lebo went from bland, hardworking intern, to spicy cha-cha post grad, who's ready to rumble. Then, it became my turn and despite the fact that I am really not into fashion or getting glammed up in general (I would much rather call it a day in my bed with a Mary Gaitskill novel and oversized tee), I had loads of fun being dressed by Dr. J. First she handed me a slightly large skirt that made me feel as though I had fins instead of actual legs (hence the mermaid reference in my caption) that coordinated fairly well with my blouse. Dr. J then draped my neck with different necklaces and urged me to put more red lipstick on (like I needed anymore..) 
Posing before we hop in a cab

Breathtaking, yes?
Dr. J sampling the exotic tequila
Then, off we were! We arrived at the Penthouse on the Upper East Side right before the fundraiser started. It was hostd by Dr. Muri Raifu and Busie Matsiko-Andan. The event was supporting The Global Syndicate and its Haiti Project and since Dr. Judy is about to travel to Haiti with the other intern, Becky Houran (a recent Smith grad), this was a great event for Dr. J to be at! They had an open bar and many performers and (can I just say) and incredible rooftop view. While Dr. J and Beck (who is specifically working on Dr. J's Haiti Project entitled 'Happy Dolls,' which is a project that primarily works with the children who were victims of the earthquakes in Haiti and Japan talked to many of the guests who were also organized in the overall betterment of Haiti, Mao, Lebo and I made multiple trips to the open bar and checked out the fabulous view. As I've stated almost every single day that I've been in The BIg Apple-how lucky am I?
Dancing all night long: The Dr. Judy story
The gang having an unforgettable night!
After an amazing performance Kassia and a few others, we socialized (AKA ate amazing authentic African and Caribbean cuisine and had fun with the open bar) and was able to sample some of the amazing tequila the caterer offered us. Then, the dancing began. Dr. J had it going on! As well as the other interns. Lebo taught us some authentic South African dance moves and before we knew it, everyone was crowding the dance floor. We stayed until almost midnight, chatting with everyone, dancing, having a great time. It was truly one of the most memorable nights of my life and it would not have happened without the one and only Dr. Judy. Cheers, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment